Board Notes - June 19, 2017
From the Public Board Meeting of: June 19, 2017
1. The Board approved the Consent Agenda with the following items:
· Policy Committee Highlights
· Finance and Planning Committee Highlights
· Education Committee of the Whole Highlights
· Parks & Recreation Committee Report Highlights
· Anaphylactic Student Incidents Report
· Notices of Motion for:
o Policy 200.3 Board Meetings: Rules of Order
o Policy 606.2 Alcohol and Other Drugs-Student Athletes
o Policy 706.2 Education Choice: Enrolment-Schools of Choice, French Immersion, and Academies
(Details for the above items can be found in the agenda for the public meeting).
2. The Board gave thanks to District Principal of Aboriginal Education, Cheryl Sebastian, for her years of service with the District. Ms. Sebastien is retiring at the end of this school year.
Board enjoyed a presentation by District Fine Arts’ Coordinator Don Bennett who
presented fourteen finalists from the Elementary Young Artists’
Conference. The students’ works will be
displayed in the school district office for the next year.
4. The Board enjoyed a presentation on the RCMP Youth Academy from District Principal Sheryl Lindquist. Also in attendance was one of this year’s cadets, Ryan Nachbaur-Schmidt, who was presented with the program’s Top Cadet Award.
5. The Board approved two Out-of-Province Field Trip Requests for:
a. Valleyview Secondary School Football Team to travel to Washington State in September 2017;
b. Westsyde Secondary
School students to travel to Quebec for a one-week bilingual exchange in
6. The Board received a Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Report for 2016-2017 from Director Smillie.
7. The Board approved Board Authority Authorized (BAA) Course Film Studies 10‑12.
8. The Board approved a change to next year’s school year calendar to accommodate the BC Winter Games and the Games’ use of district facilities. The non-instructional day will move from January 19, 2018 to February 22, 2018. As well, the Board approved moving one non-instructional day from April 1, 2019 to April 8, 2019 to provide for a better balance between Spring Break and the Easter weekend.
The next Regular Public Board Meeting will occur on Monday, June 26, 2017 at the School Board Office, 1383 Ninth Avenue, Kamloops, BC.